Super Glue is actually CYANOACRYLATE. It has become very important as it bonds things very quickly. Here are some interesting facts about this Glue :-
1. Super Glue, also known as CYANOACRYLATE, was originally discovered in 1942 by Dr. Harry Coover. Coover was attempting to make clear plastic gun sights to be put on guns used by Allied soldiers in WW II.
2. The secret ingredient in all the super glues is CYANOACRYLATE, an acrylic resin that bonds instantly. When the glue comes into contact with hydroxy 1 ions with water, it bonds.
3. It was not until two men named Harry Coover and Fred Joyner, saw the potential of super glue for commercial and consumer use in 1951, that this miracle glue became available to the public.
4. Super Glue is listed as one of the top inventions of the 20th century.
5. Super Glue can be removed with ACETONE (fingernail polish remover).
6. Super Glue bonds instantly, but remains tacky until it actually makes the connection between two substrates/surfaces.
7. Several drops of super glue can hold a two ton truck in the air.
8. Super Glue lasts longest when stored upright in dry, cool conditions like a refrigerator.
9. Super Glue has amazing tensile strength. If your fingers ever get stuck together with super glue, it is best to roll or slowly peel your fingers apart rather than pulling them apart!
10. Super Glue’s maximum strength can be achieved when bonding metal to metal.
11. Medical grade super glues have been used to close wounds instead of stitches, and the potential for larger surgery use is great
12. There are endless practical uses for super glues. Many household projects or repairs can benefit from the storng holding and bonding power of super glue.