A newspaper is a scheduled publication containing news of current events, informative articles, diverse features and advertising. It usually is printed on relatively inexpensive, low-grade paper such as newsprint. Here are some interesting facts about these newspapers :-
1. More than 24 billion newspapers are published every year !!!!
2. In China, early government-produced news sheets, called TIPAO, circulated among court officials during the late Han dynasty (second and third centuries AD).
3. The first modern newspapers were products of western European countries like Germany (publishing Relation in 1605), France (Gazette in 1631), Belgium (Nieuwe Tijdingen in 1616) and England (the London Gazette, founded in 1665.
4. If all our newspaper was recycled, we could save about 250,000,000 trees each year !!!
5. To produce each week's Sunday newspapers, 500,000 trees must be cut down.
6. In India, The Times of India is the largest English newspaper, with 2.14 million copies daily.
7. By 2007, there were 6580 daily newspapers in the world selling 395 million copies a day.
8. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the daily circulation of the Soviet newspaper Trud exceeded 21,500,000 in 1990, while the Soviet weekly Argumenty i Fakty boasted the circulation of 33,500,000 in 1991.
9. In the U.S., the Wall Street Journal has a daily circulation of approximately 2.01 million, making it the most widely distributed paper in the country.
10. Newspapers are recycled into a number of products. One of the most common is new newsprint. According to the Newspaper Association of America (NAA), the average newspaper contains 30 percent recycled fiber content.