|Beautiful Male Mandarin in water.|
1. The Mandarin Duck is 41-49 cm long with a 61-75 cm wingspan.
2. The mandarin duck is an Asian symbol for love and fidelity because the pairs tend to stay together year after year unlike most other species of waterfowl.
3. Females take the initiative in choosing a mate by orienting enticing behavior toward a preferred mate.
4. This species is not hunted for food because they taste bad, which has consequently helped them survive.
|Beautiful Mandarin Pair|
5. The species was once widespread all across eastern Asia, but capture for export and habitat destruction have reduced populations.
6. The female mandarin duck is grayer and has a smaller crest and eye ring as compared to the male.
7. Strong populations of mandarin ducks still can be found in Japan and Great Britain, believe it or not, where feral birds have thrived!
|Beautiful Male Mandarins.|
9. Even with both parents securing the ducklings, most of them do not survive to adulthood.
10. In full plumage, the male Mandarin is the most beautiful of all ducks. The males have an iridescent crown extending to a long crest and chestnut cheeks.