|How Dodo could be..|
1. Due to lack of data, early research variably categorized dodo birds as being related to parrots, or birds of prey. However, recent analysis shows that they are closely related to pigeons.
2. Dodo was driven to extinction by humans in 1681. Dodos were only found on the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean.
3. Dodos had no natural enemies and when they were discovered, they fearlessly approached humans and other animals.
4. They were ground-living, ground-nesting and flightless. Without the capacity to fly, the dodo could not extend its population to neighboring islands.
5. The exact appearance of the dodo is in question. They existed before cameras. We can only rely upon anecdotal accounts and the sketches of amateur naturalists
6. If you think humans ate the dodo into extinction, you would be mistaken. Early reports speak of the unpleasant taste and the toughness of the bird.
7. The word "dodo" is slang for "a dull-witted, slow-reacting person. For a while, people believed the bird's demise came about because of its own stupidity. But remember, the dodo had no natural enemies and was not displaying stupidity, but curiosity.
8. In Lewis Carroll's book, Alice in Wonderland, the Dodo is a solemn and wise bird.