Cotton is a soft, fluffy staple fiber that grows in a boll, or protective capsule, around the seeds of cotton plants. The fiber is almost pure cellulose. Here is list of some interesting facts about Cotton :-
1. Cotton has been cultivated in many different parts of the world for more than 5,000 years.
2. Fiber for one cotton T-shirt requires 256.6 gallons (971.33 Liters ) of water.
3. Cotton seeds are tough enough to survive travel across oceans on the wind.
4. The actual word “cotton” is an English version of the Arabic “qutun” or “kutun,” a generic term meaning fancy fabric.
5. Cotton was originally not only grown in white, but assorted other colors including brown, rust and light purple.
6. With over 30 species, the cotton plant is generally shaped like a pyramid or cone and often reaches heights of 3 to 6 feet.
7. "Jean" was the French name for a blended cotton-linen or cotton-wool cloth popular with the sailors of Genoa.
8. Cotton accounts for about 40 percent of total world fiber production.
9. Cottonseed oil is cholesterol-free, high in poly-unsaturated fats and contains high levels of antioxidants (Vitamin E) that contribute to its long shelf life.
10. In ancient Egypt, only the High Priest was allowed to wear a cotton garment. There are 35,000 cotton farms in the U.S.