|Beautiful Clown Fish|
1. All clownfish are born males. But when a female dies, the most dominant clownfish changes itself into a female!
2. One species of the clownfish, called the percula clownfish, dances when it comes into contact with the anemones for the first time!
3. Clownfish live in small groups among sea anemones. Anemones are flesh-eating animals that look like plants.
4. They can lie around thousand eggs at one time, and unlike other fish, out of the thousand eggs, all can survive !
5. Clownfish get their name because of their stripes and their bouncing movements, which make them look like clowns!
6. The relationship between the clownfish and sea anemone is a symbiotic relationship. Clownfish benefit the anemones by eating the leftovers and dead tentacles of the anemones. Clownfish help the sea anemones by circulating the water around them. In return the anemones protect the Clownfish from the attack of other fish by their venomous tentacles.
7. Though clownfish are shown as calm and modest in the movie, 'Finding Nemo', they are actually known to be aggressive fish! But there are exceptions, like the skunk clownfish.
8. In the wild, clownfish are said to live for six-eight years, and they grow up to only three to five inches!
|Clownfish nestled in a magnificent sea anemone|
10. Wondering how clownfish protect themselves from the poisonous tentacles of the anemones? Well, they are protected from the venomous tentacles of the anemones by a layer of mucus which is present on their bodies.
11. Clownfish have different names in different languages! In Japanese they are called kakure-kumanomi , in Russian they are called obyknovennaya rybka-kloun and they are also called klovnfisk in Danish.
12. They lay only during the full moon and they hatch only after dusk! The male Clownfish guards the eggs.
13. Clownfish are poor swimmers. Imagine that, a fish who is a poor swimmer!
14. Out of more than a 1000 different types of anemones, only 10 can host clownfish.
15. In a group of clownfish, there is a strict dominance hierarchy. The largest and most aggressive female is found at the to