Carrot is a root vegetable, usually orange in colour, though purple, red, white, and yellow varieties exist. It has a crisp texture when fresh. The most commonly eaten part of a carrot is a taproot, although the greens are edible as well. Here are some interesting facts about Carrots :-
1. Carrots have been garden-grown for nearly 2,000 years. Historians believe carrots originally came from Afghanistan.
2. Carrots are high in vitamin A and carotenoids. The fat-soluble carotenoids are powerful antioxidants that can protect against cardiovascular disease.
3. Red, black yellow, white, purple were the colors that carrots started out with.
4. In the 16th century, Dutch carrot growers invented the orange carrot in honor of the House of Orange, the Dutch Royal Family. They did this by cross breeding pale yellow carrots with red carrots.
5. Carrots are about 87% water. Orange carrots get their color from beta carotene.
6. Eating too many carrots can cause a person's skin to turn yellowish orange, especially on the palms or soles of the feet. This is called CAROTENEMIA. It is completely reversible once the consumption of carrots is reduced.
7. The longest carrot ever recorded was nearly 17 feet long.
8. No other vegetable or fruit contains as much carotene as carrots, which the body converts to vitamin A.
9. The largest carrot ever recorded weighed 18.985 pounds.
10. Consumption of carrots can also help in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases and certain types of cancer, including oral cavity and lung cancers